Lower Klamath Refuge
Established by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1908, Lower Klamath Refuge is our nationís first waterfowl refuge. Lower Klamath Lake once spanned 85,000-94,000 acres of wetlands and marshlands, but over time it was drained and diked to form the present day 46,900 acre refuge. The refuge supports Bald Eagle, Golden Eagle, Peregrine Falcon, Canadian Geese, pelicans, herons, grebes, and numerous duck species. During drought years, overcrowding of waterfowl has lead to large outbreaks of disease and death.
Clear Lake Dam
Located on the headwaters of the Lost River, Clear Lake Reservoir is the primary source of water for the agricultural portion of the eastern half of the Klamath Basin. Home to Pronghorn Antelope, Bald Eagle, and one of the last remaining Sage Grouse Leeks, the area has been degraded by historical grazing, logging and water diversions. Wetland and marshland restoration is badly needed; including cattle exclusion, planting of streamside vegetation, and increased flows to improve habitat for the Lost River and Shortnose Suckers.
Built in 1925 for water storage on Miller Creek, a tributary to the Lost River in Oregon, Gerber Dam and Reservoir has a large resident population of Shortnose Suckers. The lake sometimes suffers from drought conditions due to low re-charge rates, putting resident fish species at risk due to stress, competition for food, space, predation, and disease. Overgrazing of streamside vegetation, and excessive logging and road building on private lands nearby, has increased sediment, nutrient, and warm water pollution.